Side sleepers usually prefer a softer sleep surface than stomach or back sleepers. As a side sleeper, medium to medium soft is extremely comfortable to me. The myth that you must get a firm mattress or you’ll hurt your back is completely false. In fact, if you sleep on your side and you get an ultra-firm mattress, you might end up hurting your back. We reviewed tons of comfortable mattresses this past year. Check out what we thought was the most comfortable below.
Best Memory Foam Mattresses for Side Sleepers
Memory foam mattresses are great for side sleepers. The foam conforms well to the shape of your body so pressure on the shoulder and hips is minimized. Many side sleepers prefer memory foam mattresses for this reason. There’s a ton of memory foam mattresses on the market but these are some of our favorites.
- Nolah- Nolah was specifically made for side sleepers. A unique foam call AirFoam is used in all Nolah mattresses. This proprietary foam sleeps cooler and provides pressure relief to key areas for those sleeping on their side. Nolah has a 120 night sleep trial, 15 year warranty, and adopts an animal for every mattress sold. The Nolah Mattress is softer on the firmness scale but is perfect for side sleepers who want a comfortable sleep surface that doesn’t sleep hot. With the $125 discount, a queen mattress will run you $824 and shipping is always free. You won’t find this type of value and quality in stores at this price. Check out Nolah by clicking here….
- Nectar- Nectar has a 365-day sleep trial, a lifetime warranty, and will send you out a new cover if you ever need one. Value wise, Nectar is the industry’s best deal. Nectar is also bed bug resistant. This 4-layer foam mattress sleeps cool with infused gel and has excellent edge support and motion transfer. Nectar has one comfort option and ranks a 6.5 to 7 out of 10 in terms of firmness. At $670 for a queen, Nectar holds up in terms of value and its “Most Comfortable Mattress” title. Nectar is a great choice for side sleepers who want to sleep cool and have a medium feel for a fraction of the cost of other luxury mattresses. Check out Nectar by clicking here…..
- Layla- This mattress cover is so nice, it definitely sets the industry standard. Layla really went extreme with the details in their copper infused memory foam mattress. The gel infused cover is hand quilted with extreme details and sleeps incredibly nice. Layla comes in two firmness levels, medium firm and medium. By unzipping the cover and flipping the foam over, you have instant access to a different level of firmness. This is great for people who don’t know what their exact level of comfort is. The copper infused memory foam is antimicrobial and hypoallergenic so it sleeps ultra-cool in addition to promoting a cleaner sleep environment. Check out Layla by clicking here…..
- Tango- Tango Sleep has built a great mattress for side sleepers due to the flappable firmness. The white side of Tango has a medium firmness and the gray side has a medium firm feel. This dual foam mattress has cooling gel infused to keep you sleeping cool while relieving pressure on the hips and shoulder areas. A queen mattress will cost you $664.30 after using our 30% off code SAVE30. Tango offers a 120-night sleep trial, a 10-year warranty, and ships free within 24 hours of placing your order. Check out Tango by clicking here…
- Brooklyn Bedding Signature- The Signature is a hybrid upgrade of Brooklyn Bedding’s best selling mattress #BESTMATTRESSEVER. If you ever slept on the #BESTMATTRESSEVER, you would wonder why Brooklyn Bedding would change anything about it. After sleeping on the Signature, I can attest that this is one of the most comfortable mattresses that I have slept on. I am not alone either. Literally everyone who visits the sleep lab falls in love with this mattress. A relative recently stayed 4 days at my house and loved the mattress so much that he ordered one for himself. He had slept 4.5 hours a night on average for years and slept 9 hours on the Brooklyn Bedding Signature. He often woke up with frequent back pain on his current mattress and was pain free after sleeping on the Signature. The mattress is also made in the USA so you know you are getting top quality. The Brooklyn Bedding Signature is affordable at $799 for a queen with current $150 off promo (SIGNATURE150) and you also get 2 pillows and a set of sheets with every mattress purchase. Side and back sleepers should get the medium firmness. Ready to start your 120 day sleep trial? Check out Brooklyn Bedding by clicking here….
Latex mattresses are a great alternative for those that do not like memory foam. Memory foam is not for everyone. Some people prefer the resiliency of latex as well as the bounce and cooling properties. Latex is more expensive than foam but has a much longer lifespan. This is an added benefit for latex lovers. If you are a side sleeper and don’t like foam, several of the mattresses below would be a good option for you.
- PangeaBed Mattress- This copper infused, talalay latex mattress provides the sleeper with an antimicrobial sleep surface that’s so ultra-comfortable, you will think you are sleeping on a cloud. By far my favorite latex mattress, PangeaBed sleeps cool and clean. Those side sleepers with allergies would also benefit from PangeaBed’s natural antimicrobial properties. PangeaBed offers a 100-night sleep trial and 10 year warranty on their mattress. You also get $100 off and 2 free pillows when you buy a mattress. Talalay latex is not just for the rich anymore. A PangeaBed mattress in queen will cost $845. This is definitely an excellent value for an all-natural option. Check out PangeaBed here….
- Lucid 10-inch Latex Foam Mattress-Lucid’s Latex Foam Mattress is an excellent mattress for side sleepers that are on a budget. A queen sized 10 inch latex mattress cost $389.99. This is definitely a steal for this price. The Lucid 10 Inch Latex Mattress sleeps cool, has a soft Polyester and Tencel cover, and is a medium on the firmness scale. If you don’t like memory foam and are a side sleeper, this budget friendly mattress would be a great option. Check out the Lucid 10 inch here….
Best Hybrid Mattresses For Side Sleepers
Hybrid mattresses are popular with many side sleepers. Hybrids combine features of memory foam, latex, and innerspring mattresses to give the sleeper the best qualities of each sleep experience. Check out the list of our favorite hybrids that would work great with those who tend to sleep on their side.
- Brooklyn Bedding Aurora- The new hybrid Brooklyn Bedding Aurora is one of our favorite mattresses. The top layer of TitanFlex, hyper elastic foam, sleeps so cool that its even cool to the touch. Imagine that other side of the pillow coolness throughout your mattress. This is what the Aurora feels like when you sleep on it. The advanced technology of TitanCool paired with individually pocketed coils gives you comfort, support, bounce, and a cool sleep all night long. Available in soft, medium, and firm, side sleepers would be extremely comfortable with the medium firmness. If you want extra plush, the soft version would work great too. Priced at $1399 right now for a queen mattress, you won’t find a nicer mattress at a cheaper price in the store. Learn more about the Aurora here….
- DreamCloud Mattress– This luxury hybrid sleeps as nice as its name. White glove delivery, one mattress cleaning per lifetime of the mattress, and one free reconditioning after the first 5 years are several of the high end benefits that come along the lifetime warranty and 365 day sleep trial with your new DreamCloud Mattress. The last mattress you will ever own. In addition to the warranty, you get a luxury 15 inch mattress that’s hand tufted with a cashmere pillow top sleep surface. The support is top notch for excellent spine alignment and the sleep surface sleeps cool all night. You would expect this luxury mattress for $3500-5k in the store. DreamCloud will run you $1399 for a Queen with the $200 dollar off sale running right now. Side sleepers will love the plush comfort of the pillow top. Your back will thank you later. Check out DreamCloud here.
- Nest Alexander Signature Hybrid- The Nest Alexander Signature Hybrid looks and feels like a mattress that would cost way more expensive. From the handles on the side of the mattress for easy moving to the high-end cover, Nest didn’t cut any corners when they made this high-end mattress. Cooling memory foam topped with 8 inch coils gives the side sleeper ultimate support and pressure relieving comfort. Priced at $1199 with a $100 dollar off special, no one makes a better hybrid for a cheaper price. Side sleepers should go with medium firmness unless they want an ultra-plush sleep surface with the soft option. Learn more about Nest’s Alexander Signature Hybrid here….
- Brentwood Home Oceano Mattress- When Brentwood Home’s Oceano comes out of the box. You will be shocked at how high end the mattress is. Very similar to mattresses that cost 3 times the price at the mattress store, Brentwood Home created a high-end hybrid using traditional craftsmanship. The long last support and responsive comfort of the Oceano mattress along with the gel memory foam are perfect for those who sleep on their side. Side sleepers will find this mattress extremely comfortable and worth the value. The Oceano costs $1495 and comes with a 120-night sleep trial and 25 year warranty. Learn more about the Oceano Mattress here….